Friday, June 22, 2012

Zucchini Bread

Holy Squash!



Look at the size of my Squash & Zucchini!  Now please don't look at the weeds which I desperately need to get rid of.  But I am amazed at the size of my Squash & Zucchini!  It's only June!


Which lead me to thinking....I still have frozen shredded squash and zucchini in the freezer.  From last year.  Maybe a few from the year before too.  So despiste the fact that it's been in the high 90's with a head index of over 100, I thought I'd better get rid of those.  Before the hubby sees them.   So although he doesn't like BAKING going on.  In the summer.  With the air on.  I thought What he doesn't know won't hurt him.  So don't tell him.


This is the best Zucchini Bread recipe I've tried.  The best part??  You can also use Yellow Squash.  Yep.  I've tried.  After doing it, someone told me You can't do that.  Well, I did.  And it worked.  So there!  The best part is you can't tell.  The trick is making sure you drain the zucchini OR yellow squash really well before adding it to your ingredients.  I know this from experience.  Although it will taste the same, it will leave a huge dip down the center of your bread.  Trust me on this.  


Zucchini/Yellow Squash Bread

Ingredients

3 eggs            1 cup vegetable oil

2 cups white sugar        2 cups grated zucchini OR yellow squash

2 teaspoons vanilla extract                3 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon            1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder     1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chopped walnuts-optional

3 T sugar (in addition to the above sugar)
1 t ground cinnamon (in addition to the above cinnamon)

Directions


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Spray two 8x4 inch loaf pans with non-stick spray.  Mix the 3 T sugar and 1 t ground cinnamon together.  Lightly sprinkle in the bottom of each of the loaf pans.

Make sure your zucchini or yellow squash is drained really well.  I stick mine in a colander and just let it sit in the sink for a while. 

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini or squash and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

These freeze great too.  To freeze mine:  I wait until they are completely cooled.  Wrap with plastic wrap tightly.  Then wrap with freezer paper OR place inside a gallon sized ziplock bag. 







No comments:

Post a Comment